Studies (Abridged Version)
Please find in this section some information on the accredited Master's course 'Public Administration - Police Management' at the Deutsche Hochschule der Polizei - DHPol (hereinafter referred to as 'German Police University' or 'University') in Münster.
Admission to the master's course may be granted to police officers serving in the German intermediate police service or senior police service or who have been accepted as applicants for the German senior police service. They should furthermore fulfil the requirements of
- not being older than 40 years
- holding a university entrance diploma equivalent to the German Abitur (= A-level) or a comparable level of education
- a) having completed studies at a University for Applied Sciences - Public Administration (= institution at the German educational level of 'Fachhochschule') or at a comparable educational institution, passed the examination for the intermediate police service, acquired police operational experience following their studies, been recognised with top level performance in staff appraisal schemes while serving, and having been short-listed as an outperforming candidate following the selection procedure described above and therefore being admitted for study
b) holding a scientific university diploma and having been short-listed as an outperforming candidate under the selection procedure described above.
- being a student who has successfully completed the second state examination in law or has passed the post-graduate state examination qualifying him/her for the Senior Service in Public Administration. These will be prepared for their future responsibilities in the senior police service by attending a special training and development course. §29, section 3, of the German Police University Law applies accordingly.
Students from the age of 45 on may be admitted by way of exception provided that the previous admission was impossible, was due to reasons that were out of the officer's control and provided that the career structures or regulations of the German Federation or the Federal state concerned do not form any obstacles.
Curricular Structure and Content
The degree takes two academic years to complete. The first year is conducted at and run by the Federation and the Federal states. The second year is undertaken at the German Police University (DHPol).
The master`s course 'Public Administration - Police Management' has been conducted at the DHPol since October 2007. The first students finished the course in September 2009 and were awarded their master`s certificates.
- Police Operations
- Business in Public Administration
- Organisational Management / HR Management
Structure of Examinations
The Master's Degree
The Master of Arts (MA.) degree 'Public Administration - Police Management' qualifies the holder for promotion to the senior police service.
Objectives of Studies
- Leading police regional districts and major police units
- Leading police operations at command and control centres
- Fulfilling particular responsibilities in central or high-level agencies of either the Federation or a Federal state
- Being involved in providing police training and development